On July 4th we celebrate United States independence as a sovereign nation.
Did you know…..
- The American Revolution started in April 1775
- Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence in June 1776
- On July 2, 1776 the Continental Congress decided to declare independence.
- The document was signed on August 2, 1776
- The Declaration of Independence was delivered to England (Great Britain) in November 1776
What happened on July 4, 1776?
The Continental Congress approved the final wording of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.
When did the Fourth of July become a national holiday?
Congress declared July 4 to be a national holiday in 1870 (unpaid holiday) and in 1941 the holiday was changed to a paid holiday for Federal employees.
Facts courtesy of ConstitutionFacts.com
As a shout out to our friends in the North……Happy Canada Day (July 1)